Tuesday, December 24, 2013

Securing the Voltec charger if charging outside...

I thought about how I will be charging my Volt's battery when at home (currently renting) and I realized I need to protect the Voltec charger from theft and the elements. I Googled for some solutions and found the following recommendations from the GM Volt Forums:
Seems simple enough. I've also seen recommendations of leaving the Voltec in the car and either passing the cables through the windows or the trunk. I'm not sure if the cables will be crushed a little from the trunk lid, and I imagine they would also leave "dents" in the weatherstripping. I think I will try the solution with the lock above initially. If the Voltec charger is not long enough to each the outdoor plug socket I will get a 25-50ft 10/3 extension cord. The owner's manual does not recommend using an extension cord though! However, the 10 AWG cord will be overkill (better safe than sorry!) when charging at the lowest 8 Amp setting. Now if I can only convince my boss to have a charging station installed at the office...

No comments:

Post a Comment