Wednesday, December 25, 2013

Charging the Volt will be more difficult than I thought...

As I had mentioned in an earlier post, I am currently renting an apartment. After looking at some pictures of the Voltec charger, I realize it will have to be outside, exposed to the elements and possible theft. Unless by some miracle the owners have a GFCI outlet right behind their garage door and they won't mind me going in and out of their home a few times per day, then I am stuck protecting the Voltec charger. At worst, I will have to use a 50ft extension cord hanging from my balcony with the charger locked to the front wheel. I will be locking the charger itself with a cable lock (around the handle and wheel) and I will also loop the cables around the wheel and use a padlock like in the picture below. The Volt comes with  nifty security feature where it will sound the alarm if the charger is disconnected from the car (when the doors are locked). I have seen more people keeping the extension cord and charger in the drunk or front seats but I really do not want to damage the weather stripping or force the trunk down harder than needed. I also saw another owner put the charger in a large Rubbermaid container and cut holes to just pass the cables through. Cool idea but it will not make it easy to lock the charger...unless I get a longer cable lock. Hmmm. Anyway, I am not panicking yet as this is about the only worry I have so far.

No comments:

Post a Comment